Wednesday, November 27, 2019

2019 - Gratitude Month #27 - Prayer

Gratitude Day #27

Today I am grateful for the power of prayer.

Yes, I said prayer. I am a praying woman, and I have no fear in making that statement. What I won't do is mock you or deride you if you do not believe the same way.

It has taken me a lifetime to pray fervently and let go of things I cannot control. But, in this post, I want to give some examples of how it has help me in my own life.

I prayed while raising our family. I pray even harder as they are out on their own and finding their way. I daily mention them by name, and include all of the grandchildren, pleading for their protection in a very wicked world.

I prayed when son Peter was in a head-on collision shortly after he graduated. It was pretty serious, and I was there pretty much around the clock, coming home in the wee hours of morning to be with my other children, fix breakfast, and get them off to school.

I daily left an update on our answering machine regarding his condition. As I replayed messages one morning about 5:00 am, I realized someone I didn't know had called our number by mistake. Apparently, after hearing my update, she left a message stating that she didn't know if Peter was my husband or my son or someone else dear to me. But, she was going to get her prayer group together and lift us up in prayer.

I cried.

Every single time I am ready to present at a conference or give a webinar, I find myself a quiet corner to gather my thoughts and offer a prayer that I will be able to do my best, and that what I say may touch the hearts of others.

A few of you saw the ten-year challenge photo I posted a couple of days ago showing how I looked about six months after being very ill. During that illness, I did not pray. I couldn't. It was all I could do to formulate a single thought, for my mind would scatter everywhere. However, I knew that hundreds around the world were doing that praying for me, and their prayers gave me the strength I needed. I could feel and sense their prayers - doing for me what I wasn't able to do.

Kerry and I kneel in prayer every morning, asking for protection, and blessing the foods, waters, and medicines we partake of. Two days ago, Kerry pulled into the driveway and was informed by a neighbor that someone had gone to some houses and was hanging around, looking through the windows, and acting suspiciously - every house but ours.

We pray for protection when we travel, even if we are on roads that are extremely familiar to us. Every now and then we make a wrong turn on one of those familiar roads, and sort of fuss at ourselves. But...could it have been that very protection we were praying for? Perhaps.

I have prayed for many of you, whether asked to or not. As I mentioned on Sunday, I have had several of my FB friends who have privately asked me to remember them or a loved one in prayer. And, I am honored that such a privilege was extended to me. Of course I will.

Sometimes heavy burdens are not lifted when we pray, which may cause us to believe there is no Deity. I believe exactly the opposite. I, too, have had heavy burdens which did not and have not gone away. But, a different thing took place. My back was made stronger to bear those burdens.

Today I realize more than ever that I am never alone. That prayer can never be taken out of school, for silent prayers are indeed heard. That when I stand in front of a crowd to speak or am coming through on a webinar, I am not there alone.

There is always someone with me.

Always.

On a lighthearted note, the six of us were gathered around the dinner table when Kerry asked son Jordan to offer the prayer. Being a young child, he folded his arms, plopped his head down, and began mumbling something none of us could hear.

Me: Jordan, I am not going to say amen to that, for I couldn't hear a word you said.

Jordan: Mom, I wasn't talking to you.

A truer statement was never said.

No comments:

Post a Comment