Sunday, November 24, 2019

2019 - Gratitude Month #23 - Education

Gratitude Day #23
Today I am grateful the opportunities I have had for education.
I owe that thirst for knowledge to my parents. They didn't have nearly the chances I have had. Mom went to 8th grade, dad went to 6th grade and spent 3 years in 4th grade.
But, they were two of the smartest people I have ever known.
Mom knew the land. Her gardens, both vegetable and flower, could rival anyone's.
She took me through the hills and hollers behind her parents' house in Kentucky and taught me everything I could ever live on for survival.
Dad was an engineer without a degree. He could build anything he needed.
As a young married, I really wanted/needed a wheat grinder. He promptly went to the dump and scavenged an old washing machine motor, built a plywood housing and ordered two burr stones. The final thing was a long funnel like truck drivers use.
That was over 40 years ago, and it's still the best one I have ever had.
Opportunities exist on every turn for me to learn, for as Kerry's mission president used to say, "When you're green, you're still growing. When you're ripe, you're almost rotten."
I want to be green.

No comments:

Post a Comment