Tuesday, November 19, 2019

2019 - Gratitude Month #19 - Traditions

Gratitude day #19

Today I am grateful for traditions.

As we have gotten older, Kerry and I have both reflected on the traditions from our childhood, as well as those from raising our own family, that cause us to pause and smile.

Kerry's Christmas morning consisted of each child opening gifts one at a time - times eleven - so that all could see and admire what had been received.

My house consisted of me ripping through the presents with my parents warning me to not let the wrapping paper get too close to the fireplace.

Our own little family consisted of the first birthday cake being plowed into by the baby (in a high chair out in the yard close to the hose), completing all of the yard work and jumping into the back of the pickup truck to do an ice cream run, the smell of dinner cooking when we walked through the door after church on Sunday (everyone was groaning and slobbering), the blessing/christening of each of the kids (Kerry's mom made Harmony's little dress in the photos attached), and the annual Christmas tree fight.

I don't know how the annual Christmas tree fight began. For some reason, it would start out well, and then someone got offended because someone took their "branch". By the time we got to the end, I was sitting on the couch throwing the ornaments across the room and letting them land wherever they wanted.

I sort of miss the Christmas tree fights.

It was also a tradition that we all dressed alike when we were traveling. I was fortunate to either find shirts or make them so that we would be clones of each other. Lots of people just thought it was the cutest thing. But, there was purpose in this tradition - not only did I want to be able to keep my eyes on the kids; I wanted them to be able to find US.

One year at Disneyland, we were all dressed in red shirts. So was every other child in the park that day. However, my eyes kept falling back on to a man with a yellow shirt. After that, I noticed that in most crowds, yellow really stuck out. Soon, I had yellow shirts for all of us.

But, today is special because forty-two years ago I was sitting with dear friends in the Washington DC area at my bridal shower. I never thought I would ever get married, and the day was filled with young and old friends presenting me with presents and recipes and advice from their years of experience.

I still have and use many of those gifts, and have kept every one of the recipe cards.

As I recollect some of these traditions, I also hope that my memory remains good and clear so that I can look back on them and smile, knowing I tried to do the best I could do in providing meaningful moments for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment