Wednesday, November 20, 2019

2019 - Gratitude Month #20 - Travel

Gratitude day #20

Today I am grateful for modern transportation.

Yesterday afternoon, I was still at work in Ohio. By that evening, I was hugging daughter Harmony, who lives 3,000 miles across the country.

I am amazed.

My parents would often talk about the types of transportation they used to go anywhere; mostly a mule. A real mule - not a Kawasaki mule, or John Deere. Mom would tell me that a mule was more sure-footed than a horse, and in the hills of Appalachia, that counted.

How grateful I am that I don't have to feed and water a mule when I get home from any trip; that I can just turn off the engine and go drop into bed.

That I don't have to hook up a wagon to make a trip to town. My parents grew up with these, and so did everyone else in the neighborhood. They never wished to return to those days.

Dad was a hobo for awhile, riding the rails to the next town looking for work. A couple of years ago, Kerry and I rode the rails, too - for my birthday. It was comfortable and fun.

I am grateful for things like rubber tires, air conditioning, heat, soft seats, shock absorbers (or whatever they use now), for safety measures like seat belts and air bags, and all of the conveniences that we often take for granted.

I am grateful that in less than half a day's time, I can be from one end of the country to the other.

I am grateful that instead of incessant tossing back and forth on a tiny ship in the ocean, I can cruise with people waiting to help me at my beck and call, or flying over that same ocean from one continent to another.

These things are commonplace in our world. But, they came into being by good minds inspired to make our world better for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment