Tuesday, November 12, 2019

2019 - Gratitude Month #12 - Our Children

Gratitude day #12

Today I am grateful for my children. More grateful than words can begin to express.

Raising a family was the absolute hardest thing I have ever done in my life. As Dr. Phil says, "I wouldn't give you a dime to do it again; and wouldn't take a million dollars for the experience."

Our children were Peter William (named for the middle names of his father and grandfather), Harmony Rebekah (named for Kerry's sister and Rebekah of the Old Testament), Jordan Christopher (the brand name of a shirt), and Erik Joseph (the Danish spelling of Erik and he was born on the anniversary of Joseph Smith's martyrdom).

Peter had turned five years old two months before Erik was born by emergency c-section. We had just moved into our present home. My mom was extremely ill and would die three months later. Jordan had been in and out of the hospital.

I thought I had died and gone to hell.

But, little did I know at the time that I was indeed born to do hard things. Being the youngest child in my own family, I hadn't been around children much, and I discovered that there was much to learn.

These children were and are wonderful. They have been one of the biggest blessings I could ever imagine, for they helped me to grow right along with them.

They were good children. They behaved well in public places, in church, and mostly at home. They brought God-given gifts and talents with them when they entered this earth that blessed us, and blessed others.

To those who knew them, here is an update:
Peter - he died nearly ten years ago. I have often talked about his death, and will do so again on the anniversary of his death in December.

Harmony - lives in Oregon and is doing a stellar job in her classes at Portland Community College. She has been doing behind-the-scenes work in film production, and has found her niche. We will be seeing her next week when we visit.

Jordan - he and Melissa live with their four children in northern California. They are excellent parents, and their children are perfect. Jordan works in the control room at an oil refinery, and loves his job.

Erik - also lives in California working as a mortgage broker. He prides himself on keeping fit and running marathons.

Peter asked me one time if I miss the times when everyone lived at home. No! A strong NO! However, I do miss "moments", such as trips, holidays and birthdays, Sunday after church when we would walk through the door and smell dinner cooking, our backyard activities, mowing and weeding and cleaning the yard - followed by jumping into the back of the pickup truck to make an ice cream run, etc.

I could go on and on.

These children of ours have brought me to tears, both out of frustration...and joy. Part of this is because:
Adults produce children.
And, children produce adults.

How grateful I am for the four who were sent to our home. I am who I am because of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment