Tuesday, November 26, 2019

2019 - Gratitude Month #26 - The Seasns

Gratitude Day #26

Today I am grateful for the change of seasons.

We get everything in Ohio. I have sweltered. I have frozen. However, every single season has something so beautiful to offer us.

Springtime takes my breath away! The green that emerges on the lawns, the fields, and the trees is a green that we see no other time of year. It's fresh and vibrant and reaches toward the sky. The flowers are just beginning to emerge. The critters are happy and scurrying around.

Summertime takes my breath away! There is a laid-back feel to summertime, when the living is easy. I may be one of the few, but I could hardly wait until the school year was over and our kids could just enjoy childhood. I suppose I should have had them working, and cleaning, and doing all of the things that we needed to get done. But, more often than not, I would say, "Come on, let's go!" I would fill up the gas tank after loading apples, peanut butter, cookies, and whatever else we had...and, we would go get lost. We traveled on every back road I could find. When Kerry had the day off, we threw him in the van, too.

Autumn takes my breath away! There is something about "all is safely gathered in". We can learn a lot through watching the animals as they also get ready to wind down. In our house, it was preparation time for us as we dehydrated and froze and canned food, stocked up on needed supplies, filled up the fuel tank, readied the vehicles, and got ready to nestle in. The drives we took to see the resplendent colors still leave me in awe. I love driving through falling leaves as they swirl around, and I love walking and hearing their crunch under my shoes.

Winter takes my breath away! I love being hunkered down with a pot of soup bubbling away on the stove. At this stage of my life, I love not having to go out if I don't want to or need to. I love the clean and fresh, pure snow before it gets all mushy. I know that wintertime is not a favorite of everyone, particularly if you work as a letter carrier like Mr. Kerry did. But, I think how much the farmers depend on a good snowfall to replenish stores for the summer crops.

It would be difficult for me to live where there was no change every few months. I'm okay with change. I love rain beating against the windows and spring breezes carrying the fragrance of my lilac tree through the living room windows.

So, we are now getting ready for strong winds tomorrow, and snow will be here before we know it. And, I will be burrowed in my genealogy room researching those who have gone on, smelling whatever is in the crock pot, grateful for my 64th winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment