Sunday, November 24, 2019

2019 - Gratitude Month #24 - The Church

Gratitude Day #24

Today I am grateful for my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And in particular, a member of our local ward (congregation).

I wouldn't be who I am today without having grown up learning exactly how God expects me to act.

And sometimes, I screw up. But, it can always be fixed.

Always.

Mom and my three sisters joined the church in West Virginia in 1948. Those poor missionaries who knocked on my parents' door had to look up West Virginia on a map, for they weren't sure where it was. Mom recognized this was something that she had wanted and needed all of her life, and that it would benefit the family.

Dad wanted nothing to do with it. Hence, he moved the family to northcentral Ohio, making sure there was none of those Mormons in the area.

Four months later, the area opened up, and guess who knocked on Mom's door again? Right.

Four years later, Dad realized it was what he needed, too. He was baptized in the YMCA swimming pool. Three years later, I was born.

I grew up with church meetings and socials being held in our house. We rented a building downtown for Sunday services, but had to go in and sweep up the cigarettes and beer bottles before Sunday morning church. Dad was bishop when I was baptized.

I will always commend my parents on their testimony of the gospel and doctrine of Christ, for once they committed themselves, they never wavered. It didn't matter if it concerned church or anything else they had promised themselves they would do; count on them to be faithful to their commitment.

They taught me to do the same.

My own ward has some of the best of the best within its walls. We are taught to serve our fellow man, and I hope that has been evident by some of the posts I have forwarded about the Church helping people around the world, providing clean water, wheelchairs, medical care, commodities, etc. They are provided for member and nonmember alike.

My ward was there to lift us up when my parents died, and when our son died. They brought in food and provided help when I brought a new baby home, or for any of my many surgeries. They have laughed and cried with me. They have taught me by example, particular their examples of faith and diligence.

I have been given opportunities and encouragement to expand on God-given talents that were part of my nature. I began playing the piano in church at age four, and began giving short talks in Primary at age four or five. (All of the children begin giving talks to their peer group to get them used to speaking.) It's because of those opportunities that I have no fear in standing in a ballroom with 600 people in it, speaking about something I love.

Because of my genealogy experience with my parents, I had years of research skills behind me. Then, I was asked to be the Family History Center Director. I hesitated, for I had a family of young children. The Centers were quite busy at that time, but I hadn't had that much experience in the *new* way of research using microfilm and fiche.

Reluctantly, I said yes.

If I had said no, I would have said no to my future of speaking and instructing and facilitating groups and classes around the United States and on webinars that cover the world.

But, more than absolutely anything else, this membership has helped me develop a relationship with Christ. This relationship has given me a peaceful center in the middle of a very chaotic world. If everything else were removed that I find great joy in, and the only thing I had was this relationship, it would still be more than enough.

So today, even though I was a bit bleary-eyed after arriving home very late last night, I was sitting in church with my fellow church members as we united in our faith and prayers. There are many who scoff at those faith and thoughts and prayers; I do not. They have deep-seeded meaning in my life.

So, this post may be a bit preachy. But, it's one more on my gratitude list that stays close to the top. I truly would not be who I am today if it weren't for 64 years of teachings from scripture, and from good men and women whose testimonies are strong and fervent.

I want to be like that.

2 comments:

  1. Bless you, Peggy, for your faith and love and service to your family, community, church and genealogy. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy, how kind of you. I will always show my gratitude for the Church in helping me become who I am today.

      Delete