Friday, November 22, 2019

2019 - Gratitude Month #22 - Reading

Gratitude month #22

Today I am grateful for the ability to read and comprehend.

We are a family of readers. Our house is basically our own library, proudly housing over 20 bookcases filled with volumes of the things we love.

Books have taken us back in time and into the future. Reading has opened our eyes to different perspectives, and helped us understand perhaps why historical figures thought and behaved the way they did.

When all four of our children were very young, we introduced them to their best friend - the library. The six of us spent many cozy and rainy afternoons scattered to its four corners. During the summer reading programs, we took a milk crate with us, and allowed the kids to check out ten books each. That's forty books! Plus, Kerry and I would have our arms full, too! Because the kids were so close in age, they found interest in what their siblings had checked out, too.

Just like my own parents,we never go anywhere without something to read. We never minded waiting while the kids were at sports practices, piano lessons, etc. I also have waited at doctor's offices and hospitals when taking friends for a visit. I always, always have something to read.

Always.

Just a few short weeks ago, I met someone who is not able to read. My heart broke, for I can't imagine going through life depending and trusting someone else to tell me what was written.

However, I was also heartened by a book I just ready recounting a lady from the 1600s who would not sign her "X" to a document. She boldly stated, "I will not sign something I am unable to read."

My parents were readers. Kerry's parents had a vast amount of books in their home.

It comes natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment