Thursday, November 1, 2018

Gratitude Day #1 - 2018 - Remembering Mom on Her 105th Birthday

EDIT: This is the first of my November gratitude posts for November 2018.

Gratitude Day #1

Sigh...

My mom would have been 105 years old if she were alive today. And, sometimes those "would have beens" are the hardest words to utter.

I miss her. I could use her advice daily. I could use her "stand up on your hind legs with your paws in the air" spirit; as well as her genteel kindness.

I could still use her reminders to act like the lady you are. Though a hillbilly woman born in some of the poorest parts of Kentucky, mom had class. You either have it or you don't. She had it. I'm trying to have it.

I could use her sideways glance (cygogglin') to keep me in check; to know when to open my mouth and when to keep it shut.

I could use some of her cooking! Mine will never measure up to what she could throw together with no recipes. How did she DO that? And more importantly, why can't I?

And, I would certainly love to listen to some of her prayers again. There is nothing quite listening to the prayers of our parents; or walking past their room as they're kneeling together praying. Both of my parents prayed and talked with the Lord like He was sitting right in front of them.

Recently I wasn't feeling so well. I wasn't sick. I just didn't feel good. I can still remember the coolness and the calmness of of the touch of her hand on my brow that made everything feel better.

I can still hear her laugh! Her laugh made everyone around her want to laugh!

Mom died at age 71, an age I will reach in a few more years. Each of my sisters were a bit nervous as they reached that age and moved past it.

Some people are around that knew her, and they often say how much I remind them of her. The picture below shows both of us. Can you tell us apart? The one on the right shows me holding my 2 lb 10 oz grandson.

I often close down some of my presentations with the photo of hands below. It is my hand, along with my granddaughter's.

When she touches my hand, she touches history. My mom knew her great-grandfather, who was in the Civil War. He likely knew and touched the hands of a few generations before him.

So it is with us all. History continues on through us; through our looks, our stories, our touch, our work.

Mom, I miss you on this, your 105th birthday. And, I can hardly wait to throw my arms around you again and do some catching up. I need you to tell me all about the people you have met, and why they keep hiding from me.


Ida on left, Peggy and grandson Jayden on right

Peggy and baby Madeline's hands

No comments:

Post a Comment