Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Gratitude Day #27 - 2018 - Military Ancestors

Gratitude Day #27

Today I am grateful for my military relatives and ancestors.

And, I do have a bunch!

At the top of the list, I honor my younger three children. Two of the joined the US Army earlier in the year of 2001. On that fateful day of 9/11, they knew something had happened, but weren't being told what. So, they managed to call home to find out. My heart was in my throat, for I knew what could happen.

But, thank goodness they were never called up to go overseas.

The youngest joined the US Army after his two year mission to Samara Russia for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Again, no one had to serve anywhere but on American soil. But, the most important thing is that if they were assigned, they would have gone.

I have many extended family members who have and are serving. And, I am grateful that they have devoted part of their lives to serving their country.

And then...the ancestors.

My military ancestors extend clear back to the French and Indian War, 1759-1763. We weren't even a country yet, but they were there to help us become one.

As I have researched, I had begun to lose track and just how many relatives and ancestors that have been in the military, both on my side and Kerry's side of the family. I had it recorded in my database under their personal information, but couldn't remember the number.

So, one evening I had Kerry just draw up a paper listing all of the major wars our country has been involved in, and the years involved. I could have done it, but he volunteered to do it since he knew what I was planning. In about one minute, he handed me the paper.

Then, I formed a spreadsheet with the wars going across the top, and the family members going down the left column.

As of today, I have found and recorded 192 members of the military in my family.

On the spread sheet, I give a snippet of perhaps their affiliation (Union or Confederate), POW, battle, or death. The rest of their information is in the database, and pensions and other military records are recorded in detail.

So, even though it's not Veteran's Day (I had just returned from a trip on that day), I want to express my gratitude to these valiant men and women who were willing to put their life on the line -- for me.

And, for you.
Harmony Lauritzen - 2001

Jordan Lauritzen - 2001

Erik Lauritzen - 2006

Orson Lauritzen - WWII

Chester Clemens - WWII

No comments:

Post a Comment