Sunday, November 25, 2018

Gratitude Day #25 - 2018 - My Trials

Gratitude Day #25

Today I am grateful for my trials.

Yes, my trials.

We all have them. If we haven't, we will. That's pretty much a given in our lives. And, it can be a challenge to conquer those trials.

Let me recount a few of my own:

Trial: Growing up with parents who were the ages of my friends' grandparents.
Lesson learned: I am very patient with older people, and particularly those who are hard of hearing. I saw my own children behave in a patient manner among older people, too. They always treated them kindly and with respect.

Trial: Growing up as an only child.
Lesson learned: I learned to be creative and entertain my own self. Even to this day I don't mind being alone, for I like who I am with.

Trial: Being overweight as a child, and as an adult.
Lesson learned: I learned, and am still learning, that taking care of my body when I was younger should have taken more precedence. Some of the issues I have today are because of the excess stress and weight I carried.

Trial: Physical issues. I have had numerous surgeries, and have broken my feet nine times. I now have arthritis where those breaks occurred.
Lesson learned: I've been on crutches and in casts. I've been in a wheelchair several times. I've recuperated from surgeries. Therefore, I know and can anticipate what someone in similar conditions may need. It can be difficult to give up control to someone who has you on wheels, who may bump your foot or pull you backward. I've been there. I understand.

Trial: The loss of loved ones to death.
Lesson learned: We all have a certain amount of time to do the best that we can in improving our lives, and loving those around us. Losing my parents absolutely broke my heart. I didn't have them long enough, but I had them long enough to learn valuable lessons. Losing my inlaws also broke my heart. They were two of the finest people ever. I grieved right along with Kerry. Losing our son was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life; something that I'll likely never get over. However, when others have gone through similar experiences, I know how to succor them, and help them in their grief.

I could go on and on. So could you. But, having opposition in all things makes us appreciate the good times. It makes me cherish my loved ones, and be grateful for the times something isn't broken.

So, yes, I am grateful for trials. They have helped me become who I am today, and have helped me form a more compassionate heart and attitude toward suffering and loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment