Thursday, November 29, 2018

Gratitude Day #29 - Opportunities for Education

Gratitude Day #29

Today I am grateful for the many avenues that I have had for the education of my own self.

I was born to learn. I thirst in learning about new things! I feel that every single day affords me a new opportunity to learn about new things, to internalize them, and to apply them to my life.

Our house has always been a library. There are approximately 20+ bookcases filling our home. These books are my wealth. If I could never leave my home again, I would not cease to learn.

The homes that both Kerry and I were raised in were also libraries. In his childhood home, there was an entire library on the mezzanine of his parents' upper floor. I loved to go in there and curl up with a quilt to read books we didn't have in our own library.

My parents always had a book in their hands. There was always classical music (long haired) music that my dad loved that was part of that library. They didn't have a good chance for education, due to the time period and location they lived in. Mom finished 8th grade; dad went to 6th grade, but spent three years in the fourth grade.

When we married, our libraries blended together with very few duplicates.

I did not have the opportunity for formal education. My life was spent in raising a family. And, I never really pursued it, for I felt I probably wouldn't make it. When I worked at the University of Akron, I had the opportunity to take any classes I wanted to for free. I took one -- harmonica -- from a man that used to play with Freddy and the Fendercats. Now I don't have enough breath to even begin to blow into one.

I did take one class on Ohio history at the Ohio State University. I needed to hone my skills on Ohio's history for the many researchers who ask me about it. This man took us clear back to the glaciers. I didn't need to go back that far...

So, I have educated my own self. I have tried to take advantage of every possibility to learn something that may come into my path. And, when I teach, I learn - probably more than anyone else in the room.

Kerry and I love to visit historical sites, and have stopped and learned from dozens of people all across the country. We have refreshed ourselves on our trips as we journey on trails, along rivers, over mountain passes, by oceans, etc.

When we traveled as a family, we would stop at a battlefield, or historical location. Kerry would tell the kids what happened there; I would talk about the ancestors who served or lived in the area. Then, when they studied about it in school it became more real, and they could connect.

One of our favorite activities as a family was to pile into the van and go to the library on a rainy, drizzly day. I told the kids they could each check out ten books. That's forty books! We hauled them home in milk crates, only to return the following week.

So, I'm going to make it a goal to do as Kerry's father advised; to always keep my mind active and learning. He was a good example of that, right up until his last days.

I will do what his mother set the perfect example of; to watch people in action and learn from their skills. She could do anything.

To do what my dad quietly set the example of; to expand his mind at every opportunity. Dad always, always had a book in his hands.

To do what my mom counseled; that there are opportunities and blessings on every turn that can help us help ourselves. Learn to recognize them, and be grateful that person, or that book, or that class was put in your pathway.

To continue on with what Mr. Kerry does; to keep a running journal (24 volumes!) to record his impressions and notes from meetings he has been in, lessons he has learned, and events he doesn't want to forget. He has handwritten over 4500 pages.

And, my advice to my own self; that when I am speaking at a conference, recognize the tremendous gift I have been given -- to attend every class I can. It is another opportunity for learning. Another opportunity for growth.

No, I am not formally educated. But, I am filled with knowledge and experience. And, I am grateful for the opportunities I have had to expand my knowledge; that my brain and my intellect have been functional and capable of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment