Thursday, November 15, 2018

Gratitude Day #15 - 2018 - Kerry's Family

Gratitude Day #15

Today I am grateful for Kerry's big family.

They are a fine family who welcomed me with opened arms when I first walked into their lives over 41 years ago.

Kerry has five brothers and five sisters; and for the longest time I had trouble remembering all of their names. Then, spouses came along. Then, children by the dozens came along into the families of Kerry's siblings.

I was lost. Remember, I grew up as an only child.

I have learned so many things from them! I learned that there's an awful lot of give and take in a family of that size. I saw siblings sit down and work together on a compromise.

I saw them plan weddings together.

I attended big family gatherings, weddings, and reunions.

Some of his siblings are my age, or thereabouts. That was totally new to me. My sisters were nearly grown when I was born.

There was always a fond and tearful moment when talking about the oldest child, Bill. He died in a Jeep accident in Germany when he was 19 years old. Kerry was 13 years old at the time.

We buried his sister Gay, who died from ALS in 2000. She was one year younger than me.

And, I saw the profound respect each child in this family had for their parents.

Soon, grandchildren would come. I believe at the time Kerry's parents had both passed, there was 46 grandchildren, with more to come. Now, the great-grandchildren are numbering into the dozens.

I have had fun with Kerry's siblings, with my nieces and nephews, and with all of their spouses. Through the power of Facebook, I have been able to see a new baby within moments of their birth, been part of announcements for new babies joining the family, taken a tour through their new house, and literally joined them across the miles -- all because of modern technology.

I am grateful for the siblings, their spouses, their children, and their children's children. They're good people, and I'm grateful to be part of the tribe.

PS...I have included so many photos in this post to share, just in case some of those family members don't have some of them. Love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment