Monday, November 5, 2018

Gratitude Day #5 - 2018 - Our Pets

Gratitude Day #5

Today I am grateful for the pets I have throughout my life.

It's been three years since I've lost little Mr. Eddie. Even writing this, I get all teared up thinking about him.

It's the longest I can remember being without a pet.

From the time I can earliest remember, our family had pet. They were mostly dogs, but there have been a few cats that have found their home with us, too.

I think children need to grow up with pets. Our house rule was that we could not sit down to eat until the animals were fed first, for they depended on us for their meals.

As a young girl growing up with older parents, my dachshund was my dearest friend. Mom and dad had already raised three girls and were probably tired of people coming in and out all of the time. So, it was basically just them and me...and, Terry, my little weiner dog.

I would go out and sit in our apple orchard with her and tell her everything that was on my mind. She looked at me as if she understood. She would lay her head on my thigh, and all would seem well again.

Daughter Harmony asked me why we don't get another dog. I don't know. We were gone so much with my speaking schedule last year that it wouldn't be fair to keep them in a kennel somewhere. And, not all hotels take pets. If they do, there can be quite a fee.

But, today I look back on all of those sweet little creatures that have shared our home. God made them all, and we were permitted to care for them. I think of them every time I mow over our little animal cemetery in the back field.

They have guarded us. They have yipped with joy. They have comforted us when they lean in to us, as if trying to understand our sorrow. They have let us know how much they missed us when we walk through the door. They have mourned when we left. They have loved us even when we were unlovable. And, even when I had to holler at them, they would hang their head, inch toward me, and lick my hand.

Geesh. Now I really am crying.

So, I am grateful for all of them. And, I can't wait to have them come running up to me when I see them again!




No comments:

Post a Comment