Monday, November 9, 2020

2020 - Gratitude Day #9 - Jordan

 Gratitude Day #9 

Today I am grateful for our second son Jordan.

Jordan was one of the easiest little boys to have around. And, he simply melted the hearts of those who just wanted to swoop him up and cuddle him.

He was our third child, and came along just a bit sooner than we had planned. He was born just 21 months after Miss Harmony. But, it didn't matter. Our hearts always had room for more.

How interesting it is that we just couldn't think of the right name for him. We didn't know whether he would be a boy or a girl. That wasn't done so much back then.

Then, one day I was unwrapping a shirt I had bought for Kerry. I looked at the label, and it said "Jordan Christopher". It just sounded right. I showed it to Kerry, and he said it sounded great. Besides, his brother's name was Christopher.

Kerry's mom was thrilled that we were naming him after her great-grandfather. Um...no. I didn't know there was someone named Jordan in the family. But it made her happy, so we are grateful that it all seemed to come together.

When this 10 lb. 1 oz. baby boy came into the world, he would be my only child born on his actual due date. He's always been punctual since. The doctor was summoned from the golf course, and was chatting with nurses down the hall when suddenly Kerry saw that this baby was just about to enter the earth. Kerry almost ended up delivering him!

In our home, we always fold our arms and express gratitude to God for our blessings, and petition him to bless our food that it will make and keep us healthy and strong. When Jordan was quite young, we'd had a very busy day. When I finally had dinner on the table, we climbed onto our chairs and settled in. Kerry asked Jordan to say the prayer.

He did the "kid flop", where they just fold their arms on the table, rest their head on them, and mumble something. I kept glancing out of my eye to see when he was finished.

When he raised his head, I said, "Jordan, I am not going to say amen to that prayer, because I didn't hear a word you said,"

He answered, "Mom, I wasn't talking to you."

Score.

Jordan enlisted in the Army not long after high school, becoming a member of the Army band (French horn). I love military bands! While stationed in Sierra Vista, AZ, he met a beautiful young girl, and at age 19 he married her. I told Melissa she could finish raising him for me.

Though they married young in 2003, they have made that marriage work, and even blossom. Four perfect grandchildren joined their union, and their family is stellar. They are some of the best parents I have seen.

Jordan calls us often to check on us. We have the best conversations, and can feel his love across the miles.

We are so grateful for this child who came into our family and brought his gentle nature with him.








No comments:

Post a Comment