Tuesday, November 3, 2020

2020 - Gratitude Day #3 - The Right to Vote

 Gratitude Day #3

Today is election day for the United States, and I am grateful for the right to vote.

My mom would have age seven when women were given the right to vote. It was very important for both her and dad to have their Voter Registration Card. It was on or near my eighteenth birthday that they took me to the Board of Elections, and I became a registered voter.

There was one caveat. We keep our voting preferences private. And, I do mean private.

I'm not sure if I ever knew who my parents voted for. Mom used to tell me of the trouble she witnessed in both Kentucky and West Virginia on election day, so it was best if you kept your cards close to your chest. 

One scene bears out strongly in my mind. I was a young girl, and had gone to a funeral with my parents. I don't recall if it was my grandfather or one of mom's two brothers. She lost them three years in a row - all in November.

All of the men had gathered in the dining room. I was young and squirrely, and likely bored. But, the conversation then turned to politics and religion, and the talk became heated. Mom gave me "eye" to go on upstairs and get ready for bed. I did, but I still wanted to listen. So, I snuck over to the top of the stairs and peaked through the banister. 

What a show! Fists were waving! People were hollering! And, I got a little bit scared.

Then, the arguing went to the living room - to the front porch - to the front yard - right out into the road.

And, I was bouncing around the upstairs like I was in a pinball machine, running from window to window.

Of course, nothing was settled. 

So, this is why you do not see me post on social media, or even discuss with friends who we vote for. Some people may think they know...and have even called me names on Facebook. It did nothing but make me lose respect for them.

We took three of our four children to the Board of Elections on or near the eighteenth birthday. With one of them, we had just returned from Utah, had a day and a half to get that child ready and celebrate their birthday before the Army Recruiter picked them up.

So today, with a country in turmoil, slinging accusations, demeaning others for who they are supporting, and generally on edge - I am grateful for the opportunity I have to go and cast my ballot. And, very grateful for parents who expected me to.

The only thing I will change for next time is that I will not vote as early as I did. I have no allegiance to any one person, but I do for certain platforms. And, I may just change my mind as we get closer to election day, and more true colors come out.




No comments:

Post a Comment