Saturday, November 7, 2020

2020 - Gratitude Day #7 - Kerry's Siblings

 Gratitude Day #7 - Kerry's Siblings

Today I am grateful for Kerry's brothers and sisters.

Kerry has five brothers and five sisters, and I have enjoyed relationships with nearly all of them. Only one had passed on before I ever met Kerry, so I didn't get to enjoy a relationship with him. But, I surely know about them.

When I first met them, it was foreign to have people in my own age group around me that I could count as relatives. My own parents were old enough to be my grandparents. My sisters were old enough to have been my mother. My cousins were the ages of my sisters.

I had nobody my age around me, which is probably why I have always been more comfortable around older people. This was new ground for me, and I had a bit of trouble keeping everyone straight. Then, when you add their spouses...

Let me tell you about them.

Bill: I never got to meet Bill. He had joined the Army, and was killed in a Jeep accident in Germany when Kerry was just 13 years old. It devastated the family to lose their older brother. However, every group picture that was ever taken of the entire family included a framed photo of Bill. His place in the family was evident by this loving gesture.

Steve: This is the brother who just passed away in August. We found out the evening of our virtual family reunion. Steve's profound grief at the loss of his older brother never went away. Shortly after Bill's death, Steve served and LDS Mission in Nauvoo, Illinois, and returned to be sent to Viet Nam. His wife and four children were such a pleasure to be around at our reunions.

Content: She has always possessed that nurturing part of womanhood as the oldest daughter. She served her LDS Mission to Japan at the same time Kerry was serving in the Delaware/Maryland Mission. Her husband and five children, including one from her husband's previous marriage have been good and contributing adults in the world.

David: David is one of those strong men that hides a gentle heart. His wife Martha was in the Tabernacle Choir for twenty years, and their seven children are scattered around the west, and often communicate with Aunt Peggy. David served his LDS Mission in Finland.

Kerry: Well, we all know about Mr. Kerry. He will have his own post at the end of the month. I will say that our four children have grown up to become our good friends.

Joy: Joy and her husband Reed are nearing the end of their fundraising bike ride on Route 66 to raise money for ALS. Joy can do just about anything, and amazes me at her talent and logic. Her four children are amazing, as well.

Gay: Gay just didn't get to live long enough. She is the one who died of ALS, and I can't tell you how much I miss her. Her artistic talent extended from sculpting to being the set director on movies. If you see the Mount Rushmore scene in "Overboard" - that was her creation. Her husband took such good and tender care of her. She served her LDS Mission in Calgary, Alberta.

Christopher: I have had some of the best conversations with Chris. He is retired military as a Colonel, and has seven wonderful children. The sons followed their father right into military service. Her served his LDS Mission in Bolivia.

Kelly: Following his retirement from the Army as a Bird Colonel, he has continued to work for the State Department with several overseas assignments. I love reading his wife's detailed descriptions of their explorations and adventures of the country where they are assigned. Their four children have also done amazing things with their lives. He served his LDS Mission in Germany.

Charm: Charm's artistic talents are every bit as stellar as her sisters'. I have always been astounded at her simplicity in living, and how to make do with little. When she visited with us several years ago, I watched her prepare such delicious food with a simplistic fair. Her daughter spent many years training in ballet, and her poses were worthy of framing and journal publication. She served her LDS Mission in Argentina.

Harmony: This woman listens with her heart before she speaks. She is an Adult-gerontology Nurse Practitioner, but also possesses the artistic talent that runs through the Lauritzen family. She served her LDS Mission in Finland.

So, these are the brothers and sisters I inherited when I married into the Lauritzen family. This is a good, good family that has always made me feel like I am part of them.

And for that, I am grateful.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment