Wednesday, November 11, 2020

2020 - Gratitude Day #11 - Our Military Family

 Gratitude Day #11 

Today I am grateful for my military family.

I actually stand in awe of my military family, which extends in both my family and Kerry's family. 

As I have continued on in my research of my own family, I often will run across an ancestor or collateral relative that fought in a war. I was beginning to lose track of them, for when I put them into my database I will often lose track in my mind of who served when.

So, one day I asked Kerry to bring me a list of all of the wars America has been involved in, beginning with the French and Indian War up until the present day. In about a minute he handed me a piece of paper with all of the names and dates. (PS - I could have done it, too. I just didn't feel like it. And, it would have taken more than a minute.)

I began to construct a spreadsheet with the names of the wars across the top, and the name of the relative going down the left side. Then, as I find one it can be quickly entered into the cells. I only put a quick indicator that they served; their detailed information is in my database and files are downloaded onto the computer.

I am now up to 196 military men and women who have served in our family.

This has become so important because of their willingness to serve. Even if they enlisted at a time of peace, they would have willingly gone into action with their unit.

And for that, I am humbled. And, I am grateful beyond measure.

We have even extended this to a room in our basement we call the "Military Room". Kerry is quite the historian, and loves all things history as much as I do. Even this morning we paused in the middle of the road as a tribute was done on a small country road next to a cemetery filled with flags. We watched in quiet reverence.

In this Military Room, I have collected the photos of all of the relatives I know of that have a photo in uniform. My dad's teeny, tiny Navy uniform is there, along with his hat. I have the flag that was draped on his coffin. We also have a collection of all of the freedom documents, as well as an extensive map collection.

So, on this Veteran's Day I thank those who served, those who wished they could have served, those who came back maimed in either body or mind, those who stepped up to establish our country, those who fought and died to free the slaves, and those who are still enlisted and ready to go into action.

They have my gratitude. They have my heart.







No comments:

Post a Comment