Saturday, November 14, 2020

2020 - Gratitude Day #14 - Speaking Without Fear

 Gratitude Day #14 

Today I am grateful for the ability I have to speak without fear.

I have my parents to thank for that. Dad was bishop of our local congregation when I was a young girl, and Mom had no fear in saying what needed to be said. 

Growing up in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we begin speaking and teaching others in church at the tender age of three. Under age 12, we are not speaking in a regular church meeting, but in Primary to our peer group.

The earliest time I can remember was when I was young and quaking and scared. Mom helped me prepare my talk and told me to show a picture, too. I practiced with her and dad being my audience, awaiting the following Sunday.

It came. And, when the announced that I was giving a talk I went to the front of the little room. (For my Mansfield friends, it's the room across from the baptismal font.) As I looked out at the 20+ children who were sitting there, my blood ran cold. I just wanted to go sit in my chair and cry.

But, I looked toward the back, and my parents were standing there with encouraging looks on their faces. They didn't run up to rescue me. They just stood in silent solidarity with me.

I did it. Little did I know it would be the one thing that would launch me on a career that would have me speaking all over the place.

I am grateful for the teeny, tiny experiences that helped me to overcome fears and do my best. I still mess up sometimes, but it's okay. We just learn what works or doesn't work and keep going forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment