Saturday, November 11, 2017

Gratitude Day #11 - My Military Family - 11 Nov 2017

Today I am grateful for the men and women in my own family who have served in our military.

Some served because they were drafted, and maybe didn't necessarily want to go.

But, they went.

Some served because they felt it was their duty as an American.

And, they did.

Some actually saw battle. Some were serving in other capacities and didn't see battle.

And, some never had war during their service, but were willing and ready if their unit was called up.

I have relatives and ancestors that have served in every war we have ever been involved in clear back to the French and Indian War. As a matter of fact, I was beginning to lose count of them, so I asked Kerry to bring me a list of every war, including the years, that America had involvement in. I listed those wars across the top of a spreadsheet, with names going down the left side.

That list now contains 194 individuals.

So, today I honor them. I revere them for their service. I understand the fear they probably had. I understand having a difference of allegiance within one's own family, and possibly facing your own father or brother on the battlefield.

A few years ago, a friend from Europe asked me what is with the fascination that Americans have with soldiers? In her country, they fear their soldiers.

In our country, we shake their hand and thank them.

Thank you to all of my friends and loved ones who are so willing to stand up for what we enjoy today.
Orson William Lauritzen


Harmony Rebekah Lauritzen

Jordan Christopher Lauritzen

Erik Joseph Lauritzen

Orson William Lauritzen, Jr.

Stephen Rhoades Lauritzen

Christopher Smith Lauritzen and Kelly Sterling Lauritzen

Charm Lauritzen

No comments:

Post a Comment