Today I am grateful for tender mercies.
I don't believe in coincidence. It's a subject that really isn't up for discussion, other than to state that I have an unfailing belief in God.
And, I feel he has watched over me throughout my life. And, has protected me from my own self.
We had a tragedy on our road this week. A young couple that lives just down the road from us was found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in their home. It has shocked our comunity. Kerry and I were running into town when we saw rescue squads, fire trucks, and several cars at their home.
A breaking news alert on my phone broke the news to us.
Now, let me tell you why this has impacted my thinking this month. Because, it could have easily been us.
If you recall, I grew up being the daughter of a man who owned his own heating/air conditioning/ refrigeration repair business. I went on several business calls with him as a teenager, and had my hand in replacing gaskets, oiling machines, and getting furnaces started. I was pretty well trained.
We have spent the past 33 years living in the coldest part of the state. That's why there is a ski resort out my window! We've had some pretty cold snaps out here, and a few frozen fuel oil lines that needed heat wrap, and a restart.
I know how to do this. I have bled the lines to free them of air and hit that restart button many times, waiting for the oil to be primed up into the furnace.
A few years ago, on a bitterly cold day, the fuel oil truck came to fill our tank...and when I turned the thermostat up, nothing came on.
Down to the basement I went, ready to bleed the lines and get it going. I spent the next hour trying everything I could to get it going. It went into the early afternoon, and I was getting frustrated. Our children would be home from school, and it was Friday.
I broke down and called for help.
When the repairman came into the basement, he happened to check the flue, and told me that it's a darn good thing I couldn't get it started, for we would have probably all died. It was filled with sediment that needed to be cleaned out.
And, that's what he did.
So, you see that I truly don't believe in coincidence. I have worked on the furnace many times since and started it with no problem. The one time when it would have been a danger, and perhaps death, was the one time I couldn't get it started.
We pray daily for protection for ourselves and our children, and are often surprised when those prayers are answered...
Each and every day.
So, today I am grateful for those tender mercies...