Saturday, August 4, 2018

BYU Conference on Genealogy and Family History - Day #1

BYU Conference - Day #1
I love this conference.
This year marks the 50 year anniversary of this conference, and I feel so very honored to have been to so many of them. My first one was in 1994 when I had no idea where my life would be leading me. I was a mother of a young family, and was trying to do my best to raise them, and keep on doing my passion - genealogy work.
It was also where Neal A. Maxwell asked those of us in attendance how many had been asked how far back we had gone in our research.
All of us raised our hands.
He then issued the charge that it doesn't matter how far back we've gone. Perhaps we should concentrate on cleaning up what we already have.
I have taken that charge quite seriously.
Elder Bradley Foster was the plenary speaker this morning, and a few of the videos that were shown at RootsTech were also shown here. And, they get me every time. When I think of the billions of people who have lived on this earth wondering if they ever mattered...they matter.
I took an excellent class from Jim Beidler on German research. Then, Kory Meyerink, Jill Woodbury, and a rep from FamilySearch completed the lineup before my presentation on Ohio - the Great Land Experiment. I do believe it was well received.
In the evening, Kerry and I attended a reception to celebrate the 50th anniversary of this conference. He and I sat and talked with Curt Witcher for quite awhile as we ate and listened to some of the most beautiful music emanating from a harpist. We could have left at any time, but we all stayed to listen to the harp.
It's been a wonderful first day. And, I'm thrilled to run into friends that I dearly respect and love.

Steve Young, Curt Witcher, Jim Beidler

Lisa Louise Cooke and Janet Havorka

Michael Hall and Mary Kozy

Michael Strauss and Don Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment