Saturday, August 4, 2018

BYU Conference on Genealogy and Family History - Day #3

BYU Conference - Day #3
Just when I think my brain is saturated and I can't learn one more thing...I learn one more thing.
This morning's plenary session was given by Curt Witcher, who has never disappointed me in any class where I've had the opportunity to listen to him. I'm not going to go into detail as to the content of his talk, for it was one you just had to be in attendance to listen to. And, perhaps he will give it in a venue you may be attending.
Let's just say that I walked out of that session a different person than when I walked in. Kerry sat beside me hanging on to his every word. It was that good.
It was on to more classes! I listened to a great talk on Civil War pension files, followed by Michael Strauss giving one of his great talks on World War II. He is one of those "must see" speakers when it comes to talks on anything military.
After lunch, I went straight out of the chute with my Amish/Mennonite presentation. I think I gave some things for people to think about in tracing their German heritage. I finished up the day with a class on Ohio.
But, in between those last two classes, I had a chance to sit and talk with some of the finest people I know. Pat Richley-EricksonMarie Andersen, Don Snow and I sat and caught up with each others' lives. How I loved talking with them! They have been involved in genealogy longer than many people have been alive, and their dedication to good research is profound.
Don is one of those men who always sounds like he's smiling when he talks. He's the happiest man! And, he maintains a website with a vast amount of handouts that you can find here:
http://uvtagg.org/classes/dons/dons-classes.html
This evening was spent at the home of one of the organizers of this conference. I have been to his home before when he hosted many of the speakers, as well as locals, who have spent the day or on their feet, or have traveled a distance to be here. It was a warm and inviting evening with all of us just kicking back and relaxing.
A couple of people have asked me about this conference, which is in its 50th year. I believe I heard there are over 600 registered. That is quite manageable. The conference center is perfect, for the rooms are not spaced too far apart and the halls are wide. Because of its location, it is a mostly LDS audience. But, it's not limited to LDS, either by attendees or speakers.
Tomorrow is the last day, and I have two more classes to present. And, I'm one of those kinds of people who stay until the last class of the conference. That's a tough class to teach, for people have been absorbing information all week. But, I hang out until the end, because it's the right thing to do.

Kerry and Peggy with the "Y" behind us.

A reminder to us all.

Pat Erickson, Peggy, Marie Andersen, Don Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment