Friday, August 3, 2018

BYU Conference on Genealogy and Family History - Day #4

BYU Conference - Day #4
It's the final day of the BYU Conference on Genealogy and Family History. And, I'm a wee bit tired. And yes, I woke up with someone singing to me that I needed to arise and get out of bed. And yes, it was Kerry.
The plenary speaker today hit it out of the park. Wow. Todd Hansen is a local celebrity and star of BYU's "Story Trek". He was one of those people that you wanted to just keep on speaking and not stop. Actually, all of the plenary speakers had that effect on me.
Todd told the story of his being bullied while a young boy. This led to extreme shyness that took him years to overcome. Now, he knocks on strangers doors and asks them to tell him their story, for he feels every person has one. The clips from his shows were difficult to see through many moist eyes.
If you are fortunate enough to have BYU TV, then I would suggest tuning in to watch his remarkable show. You can read about him here:https://www.deseretnews.com/…/The-story-behind-Todd-Hansens…
The final day of breakout sessions soon followed, and I did my final two classes, making a total of five for this conference. On the first day, they announced they would no longer be printing paper syllabi as they have for the past fifty years. All come on a flash drive. Actually, it costs the same to print one off at the UPS Store as it does to order one here. I wonder if other conferences will follow suit.
I must say the lunches at this conferences are worth every bite! Utah is king of breads! Each day, they were ordered from a different vendor, and Kerry and I wolfed them down.
However, today was a different day. It was the ICAPGen luncheon, of which I am a member. It was over twenty years ago that I received the credential of AG, and it was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I thought I was good. But, working toward that credential polished me up in ways I didn't know I needed polishing. Every five years, I recertify...both to the credentialing body, and to my own self.
It was so satisfying to see so many of these good men and women who are credentialed, and those who are on the path toward becoming an AG. They have three time the number of applicants than they did last year.
I stayed until the very last class was over. Don Snow, one of the people I sat and talked to for about an hour, along with Pat Richley-Erickson and Marie Andersen, is about one of the smartest men I know. He is one year older than my oldest sister, and was a former Math Professor at BYU. His wife taught Humanities.
He just amazes me. Oftentimes, we make the mistake of thinking those younger than us possess the brilliant and quick minds. Well, I do. But, in that, I am wrong. Some of the best advice I have received in research and technology have come from those who blazed the trails long before I came along.
After bidding goodbye to the many attendees and presenters that were left, Kerry and I left to go visit a friend who has been in either a rehab center, a nursing home, or the hospital for the past several years. Laura Leigh Moorewas quietly sleeping when we walked in, but it didn't take long for her infectious smile to light up the room. We only stayed a short time, and she only had one request. She wanted to hear what Kerry sings to me to wake me up.
I stood there with head down, wagging it back and forth as he sang to her. I can't get away from it.
Then, we drove to the chapel that Marie Andersen attends each week. For the longest time, she has been wanting me to come and see the organ in their building. Today was the day.
My.gosh.
I have never seen an organ like this! I was thunderstruck when I walked into the chapel and saw the pipes and the ornate carving from a distance. I reverently walked toward it, for an instrument of this magnitude had me standing in awe.
The lady who let us into the building turned it on, and left so I could have some fun. I was almost scared to touch it, but I finally sat down and played "Hallelujah". There were few stops on it, but the sound took my breath away.Laura Prescott, this was the organ played by Doug Bush. There are youtube videos and even CD's of him playing it.
Here is how a tracker organ works by wind:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_action
Now, we will visit with some family tomorrow, and begin our trek to visit more family.
BYU Conference on Genealogy and Family History, you did it again!


Michael Hall, Curt Witcher, David Rencher.  Kerry is behind them.

With Debbie Shurtz Gurtler

With Diana Elder






No comments:

Post a Comment