Sunday, January 10, 2016

And Yet, Another Reason for Family History Centers!

Can you tell I love Family History Centers?

A few days ago, I wrote a blogpost about the ongoing need for Family History Center.
You may read it here.

Well, there is even a greater opportunity for these centers of which
Mr. Kerry and I are Co-Directors of the one here in Mansfield, Ohio.
It has its own Facebook page:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has partnered with many institutions and is digitizing selected books that are housed in their collections.
Just look at all of these fine institutions that are willing to share their collections!

So, how do we use this?

Perhaps we hear that there may be a book written about our family.
Or, about an area our family lived in.
In the above case, you would want to sign in to FamilySearch.
On the top tabs, click "Search".
Then, click on "Books", wither from the drop-down menu, or the above screen.

You will again see the institutions involved, and a blank space where you may fill in 
a family name...
a geographic area...
the name of a church...
You get the idea.  
In this case, I filled in the name "Tinkling Spring"

Tinkling Spring is the name of a Presbyterian Church 
established in 1740 in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
Many of my people lived in the surrounding area.
There is a website for it here.

The first two are the ones I am interested in. 
I clicked on the first one, which included "Cemetery Records".


I love cemeteries!
And, this old book tells me all about the people buried in the graveyard next to the church.
Could it get any better than that?

Well...
yes, and no.

The second book was about Reverend John Craig, who established the church in 1740.

That's right...1740!

When I clicked on the link to that book, this is the message that came up.

Excuse me?
I do not have sufficient rights?

But read it carefully.
It says that it must be viewed at... 
The Family History Library.
A partner library.
Or a Family Center.

So, I simply went to the Family History Center, thumb drive in hand.

I went through the process again, and it appeared right on the computer screen.

Up in the right-hand corner, you can see where you may print it or save it.

I saved portions of it to a thumb drive, and brought it home where I can read it from here.

So, we see yet another reason why Family History Centers 
located throughout the world can still serve us well.

There may be restrictions that were placed there when the initial agreements were drawn up,
or as it says in the "sufficient rights" screen,
only so many at a time can view the object.

Aren't we fortunate to have this available to us?



No comments:

Post a Comment