Saturday, December 12, 2020

2020 - Christmas Beauty of the Day #12 - The Christus

2020 - Christmas Beauty of the Day #12 - The  Christus

Many years ago I stood in front of the large Christus statue in the North Visitor's Center on Temple Square. It towered over me at 11', and weighed in at 12,000 pounds.

And I could not take my eyes off of it.

It is a reproduction of the one in Copenhagen, Denmark. Here is its history: "Officially entitled Christus Consolator, this statue by Bertel Thorvaldsen is known around the world. After a fire destroyed the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Lady in Copenhagen, Denmark, Thorvaldsen was commissioned to create the statue, which was moved into the rebuilt church in 1833. The original statue was carved from Italian Carrara marble and is 11 feet tall. It contains a description in Danish underneath on the pedestal: "Kommer til mig." This translates to "Come to me."

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is known for its use of the Christus statue. This association began in the 1950s when Elder Stephen L. Richards, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, presented the 11-foot replica now displayed on Temple Square to President David O. McKay. The Church has continued to place the Christus in Visitor Centers and exhibitions around the world.

I can recall hearing the news in 1982 that this beautiful piece of work had been severely damaged by a man wielding a hammer. Why in the world would someone do that?

"For the second time in 18 months, the towering white statue of Christ in the Mormon Church's Temple Square has been battered with a hammer, church officials say. A man identified as Larry B. Sargeant, 51 years old, of Heber City, attacked the 12-foot statue Thursday, the authorities said, breaking its hands and arms before being pulled off by bystanders. He was charged with felonious destruction of property and aggravated assault."  

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/18/us/mormon-statue-battered.html#:~:text=For%20the%20second%20time%20in,man%20identified%20as%20Larry%20B

Over the years, replicas have been available for purchase through different venues. I knew I had to have one, and presented one to my own self one Christmas many years ago. They are a bit more expensive now, but it wouldn't matter to me. This is one of the most beautiful things I own in my home.

It stays up year round in a place of prominence. It is 19" high, and is quite heavy. I carefully dust it and make sure nothing is near that could harm it.

I once heard that when you walk into a person's home, the first thing your eyes land on is the thing that is most important to the people in that home.

This is the first thing you see when you come through my front door. Next are all the pictures of my family.

#ChristmasBeautyoftheDay

#LightTheWorld





No comments:

Post a Comment