Thursday, December 24, 2020

2020 - Christmas Beauty of the Day #24 - Kerry's Christmas Star

 2020 - Christmas Beauty of the Day #24 - Kerry's Christmas Star

During the years 1971-1973, young Kerry was serving a mission in the Delaware/Maryland Mission. He had left for the mission field in September of 1971, arriving in Maryland sometime in October.

It was his first real time away from home. His parents taught him well, and he loved his mission and the area he was in - enough to return to it at the end of his mission.

But at Christmastime, your heart turns homeward.

During his first Christmas away from home, he and his missionary companion were poor, not having much more than about $150 each month as a living allowance.

They at least wanted to have a tree, so pooling their money they bought one for $4.

And, most missionaries don't take Christmas decorations with them in their suitcases from home. So, Kerry found some cardboard and cut out a star to place on top of their $4 tree.

We still have that star 49 years later.

After we married in December 1977, we decorated our first tree together. Soon, Kerry placed this cardboard star on the top of our absolutely perfect tree. I gasped. What in the world was that thing?

He told me. Oh. Okay.

I put up with that star for years, always wanting a beautiful angel with a long flowing dress. One year I finally bought one and told him that it was going on the tree.

He quietly took his star down, placed it safely in a folder, and didn't say much.

I felt like a heel. I looked at our tree, and thought it was the ugliest one I had ever seen. I told him how I felt, and asked him to bring his star back out.

Peggy learned a valuable lesson that didn't use any words. Just feelings. I learned how to get rid of my selfish self.

We now have framed the star so the points don't get damaged, and it hangs year round in our dining room.

And, it is the most beautiful thing in that room.

#ChristmasBeautyoftheDay

#LightTheWorld






No comments:

Post a Comment