Monday, December 7, 2020

2020 - Christmas Beauty of the Day #7 - Red Gingham Bows

 Christmas Beauty of the Day #7 - Red Gingham Bows

I had more comments on this post last year than I could even count.

A few of you know that I didn't grow up in a very wealthy home. My first few years were spent in a log cabin that had indoor plumbing, but no indoor bathroom. 

After a few years, we were in another home that I lived in until after I graduated from high school. My dad built an addition onto the front of the house that had a warm and cozy fireplace. Both of these homes are now gone.

One year my mom wanted to do something special. She had seen a Good Housekeeping magazine in 1963 that had a tree decorated with red gingham bows. She wanted that same look on our tree, so she bought a yard of red gingham and we spent an afternoon cutting out long strips and ironing them.

We both thought that was just the prettiest tree that had ever been decorated.

And somehow, I inherited all of those bows. They have been on every tree throughout our 43 years of marriage, and are decorated the four trees we have up today.

I'm sure they would not be considered a decorator's dream today. But, it doesn't matter. those bows have been tied on Christmas trees for four generations now, for even my grandmother took a few back home to Kentucky with her. (She lived with us every winter, returning to Kentucky in March.)

If any of my children or grandchildren should ever want one, there are plenty for them, too. 

#ChristmasBeautyoftheDay

#LightTheWorld




No comments:

Post a Comment