Thursday, December 17, 2020

2020 - Christmas Beauty of the Day #17 - Danish Plates and Commemoration of the Death of Kerry's Father

2020 - Christmas Beauty of the Day #17 - Danish Plates and Commemoration of the Death of Kerry's Father

It was sixteen years ago today that we learned of the death of Kerry's father Orson William Lauritzen. He was truly one of the kindest men I ever knew, and our loss was great.

He made me feel welcome from the first moment I met him. He was a gentleman, and taught his children well. Kerry often talks about how his father taught him to care and be respectful of women - to help them on with their coats, pull their chair out for them, open doors, etc. He taught them - and he also set the example.

And, Kerry still does this for me. When we were dating, many would say it wouldn't last. I knew better, for I knew his father. My sons tried to do the same for the girls they dated, but they were often shrugged off, with an "I can do it myself" following their attempts. Kerry taught them, but couldn't help it if it wasn't received.

Orson's paternal heritage is pure Danish, with the generations hailing from Vesterlund, Denmark. (Lauritz Lauritzen b1816 Denmark d1896 Utah - the immigrant) 

Kerry's family is quite proud of their Danish heritage, but he and each of his siblings are actually only one quarter Danish. But today, we regale in Orson's paternal heritage as we remember the day of his passing.

Years ago we met a man who had been quite a collector, and a curator at a Swedish museum. He had several of the Danish Christmas plates, and gave us a boatload of them. They are clean and proudly displayed in our home.

The earliest one I have happens to be from the year of Orson's birth.

#ChristmasBeautyoftheDay

#LightTheWorld






No comments:

Post a Comment