Sunday, December 13, 2020

2020 - Christmas Beauty of the Day #13 - Kerosene lamps

2020 - Christmas Beauty of the Day #13 - Kerosene lamps

Though not normally associated with Christmastime, my memories of kerosene lamps go back to the holidays of my childhood. 

On Christmas Eve, my mom would turn out every light in the house except for the ones that were twinkling on the Christmas tree. Then, with only the embers crackling from the fireplace and the image of my grandmother sitting beside it in her chair, warming her arthritic knees...mom would light every kerosene lamp she had. 

With just those soft glows emanating from the lamps, the fireplace, and the Christmas tree, Dad would go over the Christmas story. It was during those winter nights that I developed a love for the holiday season, and a deeper love for the meaning behind celebrating His birth.

I can't recall but one or two gifts that I ever received for Christmas. But, I will never forget those Christmas Eves of my childhood.

When I married, mom gave me one of her kerosene lamps. She said they were good to have on hand, "just in case". And, when I married Kerry, I was delighted to know he already had one, too!

Our collection grew. A couple of times when storms had taken our electricity out, we lit them and ate "cowboy grub" at the dinner table with our children. They were quite disappointed when the electricity was restored.

A few days ago I gathered them together and saw that their globes needed to be washed. I thought of the replacement globes we've bought through the years, of the many times we've used them and had to buy replacement wicks, of the tender nighttime talks we've had with our children, and how we do an inventory a couple of times each year to make sure...we have enough oil for our lamps.

#ChristmasBeautyoftheDay

#LightTheWorld



No comments:

Post a Comment