Sunday, December 3, 2017

Gratitude Day #28 - My Memories - 28 Nov 2017

Today I am grateful for my memories.
We have been so fortunate that our family has not experienced the ravages of Alzheimer's disease. Other than some cases of natural dementia, most of my family members have had clear minds up until their death.
My dad remarried a few years after my mom died. She had seemed a bit scatterbrained at first, but it was really the onset of Alzheimer's. I wish I had known her when she was at her best, for I believe she had been quite a capable lady. We eventually had to break up housekeeping, and her sons took her back to Cleveland to a special unit.
Perhaps you have read the memorable experiences I have shared in these posts. As I have looked through photos and books, memories have come flooding back into my mind and my heart. I begin reliving them, thinking about the people, the occasions, the foods, the smells, the laughter, the mishaps, and even the sorrow.
Memories make me appreciate my life even more.
I hope and pray my mind is always sharp and witty. I hope I can always remember situations and feelings associated, so that perhaps I may be of comfort.
As Kerry and I get older, we live on those memories. And, if they should be taken away, what would there be?
And now, I am remembering that 36 years ago I was about ready to go into labor that would be so intense, the doctor would wonder if he could pull us both through.
And yes, I would do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment