Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Gratitude Day #7 - 2018 - My Five Senses

Gratitude Day #7

Today I am grateful for my five senses.

I never really gave any of them great thought when I was younger. I took it for granted that I could play the piano, hear beautiful music, taste, etc. But, as I age and some of them may diminish, I realize what a gift they have been.

First, I am grateful for my eyes. Oh, how much beauty I would have missed if I didn't have my sight! I have loved being able to:
See Mr. Kerry's big, brown, warm eyes.
See my newborn babies.
See the colors of the seasons.
See the music on all of my music stands.
See sidewalks and steps so I don't trip and fall (so much).

Next, I am grateful for my ears. I have loved being able to:
Hear Mr. Kerry breathing close by.
Hear my children's cries.
Hear my children's cheers.
Hear chickens clucking outside my window.
Hear the wind so I can nestle down and keep warm.
Hear the sizzle of fajitas, fried chicken, and smoke alarms, and the phone.
Rippling water dancing over rocks in a stream.

I am grateful for my sense of smell. I love being able to smell:
That precious newborn smell.
Autumn leaves burning.
Bread baking either in the breadmaker or the oven.
Anything cooking.
Mr. Kerry's scent. Everybody has a scent.
My sheets after they dry outside.
Seasonal smells, like flowers, pine wreaths, suntan lotion.

I am really grateful for my sense of taste. I love the taste of:
Tears falling down my cheeks.
Tears falling down Mr. Kerry's cheeks.
Fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, and anything southern.
Hot bread with butter and honey dripping off the edges.
Actually, just about anything.

I am grateful for my sense of touch. Because of it, I can:
Play many, many instruments.
Feel bread dough as I knead it.
Feel warm dishwater that actually soothes aches and pains.
Heat from a fireplace or a bonfire.
Mr. Kerry's strong arms.
My children and my grandchildren as they held my hand, or wrapped their precious arms around my neck.
The sun shining on my shoulders.

I suppose I could get along without any one of them, for many have. But, I am grateful that today I have all of these senses that work just fine, and provide a rich and good life for me. They are God-given, and that is something I must never, ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment