Monday, October 5, 2020

Because of those obituaries and funeral cards

 During the 2020 pandemic, it has actually been a blessing to have some time on my hands to get some much needed backlog work done. One of those items has been nagging me in the back of my mind for several years.

A box filled with obituaries and funeral cards given to me by my Aunt Betty Jones Stevens. Aunt Betty was married to my mom's youngest brother Richard.

Aunt Betty Jones Stevens b1936 d2017

Aunt Betty knew that all of us girls were interested in that "genealogy stuff", and that the majority of our family members from the mid-1800s until now lived in parts of eastern Kentucky. 


Richard Stevens b1931 d2015

Her husband, my Uncle Dick knew everybody in the county, and if he didn't know them, he knew their brother. His knowledge reached to the surrounding counties, too. In his later years, he went to every funeral he could to console the grieving and pick up a funeral card for us. He also took a fork with him and kept it in his pocket, just in case there was an invitation for the funeral meal. There usually was.

The box of obituaries and funeral cards that Aunt Betty collected for us during the years.

These funeral cards have sat on a shelf in my office for several years - probably pre-2016. The few I saw on top I knew I already had in my possession, for I had likely attended the funeral or had inherited them from my parents.

But, she collected them all, recalling some of the surnames she had heard us mention through the years.

About a month ago I began to photograph and/or scan these items into a folder of "Misc. Families" on my computer. It was then that I thought that I could and should do something more with them.

So, enter FamilySearch.org.

One by one I began to look them up. First, I checked my own database. Second, I began to look on FamilySearch. Under the Memories section, I uploaded the scans to Documents.

That's all that I did. I didn't enter information. I didn't tag anyone. 

I simply uploaded the scans for their family to find someday.

Here is an example of one of them. I am not related to this man - but, someone is.






I absolutely love the information that has been included on this tiny funeral card, and have rethought what may be included on the ones Kerry and I will design for our own funerals. Just look at all of that information on the centerfold!

I also uploaded obituaries and funeral cards I had collected from family, personal friends, church friends, and friends through Boy Scouts. Again, I add no information other than the scan.

So, as of this morning I have added nearly 300 obituaries, and still have half a box that I need to work on. I am keeping the ones who are family members and throwing the rest away.

Out of all of those people, there have only been two I haven't been able to find on FamilySearch. 

So, rather than sit around and wring my hands over a virus I can't do anything about, I have put my time to good use. And perhaps there will be someone, someday who will be glad that I uploaded those scans.


No comments:

Post a Comment