Wednesday, November 6, 2019

2019 - Gratitude month #6 - The Sisterhood

Gratitude day #6

Today I am grateful for my sisters; aka "The Sisterhood".

I grew up alone. I loved it and hated it both. My parents were older, and didn't really want lots of kids running through the house or the yard.

So, it was just me...with three sisters who were each old enough to have been my mother. It was actually like having four mothers.

I had nobody my age. But, we're all the same age now. Time has a way of catching us all up.

Through the years, I have learned a lot about how to behave with class and dignity as a female. Never once have I heard them swear, or curse, or use the Lord's name in vain, or talk with what I would call a dirty mouth. I've seen them angry and frustrated, but always maintaining their own respect.

They haven't known me for 64 years, but I have known them that long. They're the ones who saw my mom through a pregnancy in her old age, all while they were finishing high school or in their first years of nursing school.

Fern and Jean and Betty and I have laughed ourselves silly at times. We have gone on genealogy trips together, tromped through cemeteries, covered our mouths to keep from laughing when getting directions from a man in Kentucky:

Me (driving): Can you tell us where the Baptist Church is?
Man (sweeping driveway): Well, what's wrong with the Church of God?
Me: Well, not a thing. We're just trying to find the Baptist Church.
Man: Well, you ought to be finding the Church of God.
Me: I'm sure it's a fine, fine church. But, there's a reunion being held at the Baptist Church.
Man: Well, they should have had it at the Church of God!
Me (backing out of driveway): You know, you're probably right. When I find them, I'll be sure to tell them that.

My sisters were trying to hold their faces together. Me? I'm trying to save us all.

We have buried our parents. We have buried two of their husbands and our son. One day, it will be one of us...

And, the Sisterhood will never be the same.

I am grateful to have had such fine women in my life, who took a bratty little sister and elevated her to a respectable level.

They are fine, good, and decent women who helped raise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment