Saturday, August 4, 2018

BYU Conference on Genealogy and Family History - Day #2

BYU Conference - Day #2
I loved the comments in the opening session this morning. David E. Rencheralways does such a stellar job in bringing the world of genealogy to the forefront.
Today, I purposely concentrated on attending classes from people I had never heard before. And, not letting them know who I was. Not that I'm important, or anything like that at all...but, sometimes people can get rattled when a seasoned person is sitting in the audience.
Me? I'm grateful; for they're there when I stumble.
But, I was also grateful to sit in on two classes taught by men I have respected for awhile. Curt Witcher taught one of the best classes ever on Native American ancestry. I have a particular interest in this subject, and was madly taking notes. He was one of the first speakers I ever heard when I first started out, and he is still just as relaxed and informative as ever. I wish I could hear it twice.
I also heard a marvelous class on railroad research by Michael Strauss. All I can say is double wow! This presentation was the maiden voyage for him on this topic, and I wish I could hear it twice, also. He is another excellent presenter whose classes are filled with evidence of the massive amount of research he has done.
I am so fortunate to be able to hear such wonderful people. Someone once asked me what I do at conferences when I'm not speaking. Are you kidding me? I'm taking classes! Yes, especially me! From one end of this country to the other, through many venues, I have been taught by the masters of the field.
Kerry spends the mornings and afternoons at the Harold B. Lee Library here on the campus. There are many who do their research at this facility instead of making the trip 40 miles north to Salt Lake City. He has been enjoying his time alone there.
I still have work to do in the evenings, for I have a few preparations to do before going to visit Jordan and Erik, going north to Portland to visit Harmony, and eventually arriving in Arlington, Washington for the Northwest Genealogy Conference.
I have spent the evening catching up with sisters, children, friends from home, and relishing all of the new things I've learned today.


No comments:

Post a Comment